I know the "rule" of weighing is to only weigh once a week. Before I bought my scales, that wasn't a problem ~ I only weighed in on Monday's at my WW meeting. But, I just HAD to have a set of scales at home and ever since they have entered my home, I've been a slave to them. There's rarely a time that I go into the bathroom that I don't step on those scales! Whether I'm doing laundry, cleaning, washing my hands, taking a shower, getting ready....whatever I'm doing in the bathroom I weigh myself. And sometimes will weigh myself upon entering the bathroom and before I walk out too ~ twice in one visit to the restroom! I think that I would definitely be considered a "Slave to the Scale."
I don't want to step on the scales every time I enter the restroom, but there they are just looking at me, telling me to step on! I've thought about having Steve put them up for me because if I know where they are, it will be too easy for me to just get them down and jump right on!
What does weighing myself 3, 4, or 5 times a day help? What am I hoping to accomplish by doing this? Should I leave this routine alone? Change it? If so, how? Should I not have bought them? Why did I think I needed them so badly?
These are questions that are on my mind almost everytime I walk away from the scales after weighing myself. While on the scales, I am hoping to see a huge loss...2 or 3 pounds would be ideal in my mind ~ knowing that isn't realistic for every single time I step on! But, I've decided that I am going to put the scales away myself. This is something that I need to be in control of. And I'm starting right now! After I finish here, I am going into the bathroom and putting the scales away. I'm not even going to weigh myself one last time before putting them into hiding! I will no longer give in to the scales.
At the end of the day, it's not the number on the scales that is important! It's the reassurance that I am feeding my family and myself healthy foods and teaching my son to make healthy choices.
A place for me to share what has or has not worked for me in my journey to a healthier body.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Beth, I can tell you what I think is the reason why you have been a slave to the scale. This is from my own experience with weight loss in the past! and may not even reflect how you are feeling, it is the feelings I felt after losing 63#
The First thought I felt was it is hard to believe after losing a tremendous amount of weight. I had mixed emotions. I would look in the mirror at myself and see someone that I didn't know!!! I would think to myself,Is it real! Is that really me or is it a dream and I will wake up FAT tomorrow!! That was a nightmare!!
weight loss changes you not only physically ,it changes you emotionally ! It is a emotional roller coaster ride ,or it was for me!
When you have stuck with the program faithfully,did your part you expect to see results! you get accustom to seeing a continuous weight loss every time you step on the scale
Beth ,each week @weight watchers you faithfully step on the scale and you have been rewarded with dropping unbelievable pounds and it gives you a big rush of self assurance and motivates you to keep going and do even better the next week.
When we reach a Plato and our metabolism slows down the weight is not coming off as fast as before even though we are still following the program and doing everything as we have always done before, but not seeing the results we expected on the scale. we try to find reassurance for ourself.
So I think by getting the bathroom scale and weighing yourself you are searching for a new reassurance but to often when we don't see the results we expected on the scale, the numbers go up more then down so it is highly disappointing and it emotionally cuts away at our self assurance and motivation and it is discouraging and makes it hard to focus and be as positive as we were before.
once a week weight-in I think is good ,it gives a more realistic accurate status - and helps us too stay focused and on track as too not let a few extra pounds creep up unexpectedly,and gives us a chance to reevaluate what we ate that week and make changes so we can keep track on a weekly basis & continue to feel proud of all our accomplishments.
I think putting up the scale is going to give you back your confidence and put you back in self control and positive thinking!!!
" self-awareness is probably the most important thing toward being a champion.”
Beth, Each time you've been tempted to peek you've resisted. Kudos to you girl! It took me a couple of weeks to break the chain to my scale and now I only weigh in once every 2 weeks. This strategy is working for me too:)
Janice,
What a beautiful post. I especially
appreciated the quote you ended it with. How very true.
Post a Comment